Friday, March 4, 2011

Inclusionary

I love our elementary school.  I really do. 
Oh, I have my fears about my little guy starting kindergarten.  I am losing sleep over things.  But, I do know, deep down, it will be fine.
Our elementary school is an inclusionary school.  That means they take special needs kids who can be and should be mainstreamed.  There are lots of aids and resource classes for them.  Several of the teachers are trained in special education even if they are not special education teachers. 
OK, so there is not an overwhelming amount of inclusionary kids, but more than the typical school.  And the school is prepared to handle it.  And, more importantly, if my guy doesn’t qualify, but has a need, he can still get it (partially because I pray to the copy gods). 
My child will have teachers with the special education.  If he doesn’t qualify for an aide, he will be in a class with an aide who will still be there to help him.  The classroom lights will have light filters on them.  He will be given room to move.  Faculty and staff will not blink if he isn’t potty-trained.  He will be accepted at least by the adults.  These are half my fears. 
Yes, there is still more that can hiccup his education/time in school.  But some of it is handled.  The principal has asked me what I need for him, and she is helping to make that happen.  We’re working backwards.  The teacher he will have in kindergarten said she won’t worry about academics as much as she will social skills.  She is putting his actual needs first.  And the fact that he is extremely bright doesn’t hurt.
Yes, I will still need to get him into speech, but he will qualify for that with flying colors.  Or at least he should.  I am sure he will get what else he needs, even if not officially. 
Inclusionary schools are a beautiful thing.

1 comment: