Thursday, February 17, 2011

I Pray To The Copy Gods

I take advantage of my two neurotypical older children in a minor, but very important way.  It’s something I would do anyhow, but just probably not to the extent I do it, especially with a baby at home.  But for the sake of my third little guy, I work this.
Sound intriguing?  It’s not really.  I volunteer at the school.  But I do it a lot.  4-5 days per week a lot.  Not all day, every day.  Enough to have a presence though.
I like knowing what is going on with the kids socially and with the school happenings.  I like knowing all the kids.  It’s amazing, over 1000 students and I do know most of them.  I like the message my kids get— knowing I care, that I value an education, and they aren’t going to get away with anything.  I like getting to know other parents that I might not otherwise have any contact with through different volunteer opportunities.  I like knowing the teachers and staff (with H that is very important).  I like the fact that the teachers and staff know me, and I’m hoping that will give H certain advantages.  I know it does.
Technically, our school doesn’t allow teacher requests.  The school feels there are too many kids to handle all the requests and doesn’t want parents upset if their request isn’t met.  Yet, I do handpick my kids’ teachers.  Sort of.  I’ve allowed the chips to fall where they may with my oldest, but I’ve made it clear what he needs in a teacher and he has been placed very carefully.  I named a couple of teachers I thought my second would be successful with, and he was placed with one of those teachers.  But, my little man with issues will have a teacher chosen by me, every year.  Once he is enrolled (he’ll only be starting kindergarten next year), I will try to write that into our IEP, but even if it doesn’t happen, I know who his teacher will be won’t be a problem.
I am very open about what his issues are.  The school is into the “confidentiality” of the situation, but I keep telling everyone all that I can (when appropriate).  I’ve told the school, that the only way it will be win-win is to have open communication.  It’s not enough that H’s teachers know, but the specials teachers need to know too—the librarian (he *can’t* be quite), the computer teacher (leave those head phones out and he will put them in his mouth), the PE teachers, the art teacher, the music teacher, the other teachers that work recess and lunch.  We all have to be on the same page.  It is a matter of necessity for them to not hold against him what he can’t control.  I even need to have the other kids in his class understand so he won’t be an outcast.
I am not ashamed of him.  There is nothing shameful about his issues.  He was born different.  He thinks differently.  He processes differently.  He learns differently.  But he is not a bad child; there is nothing “wrong” with him.  If we all help him where we can, even if that is just offering him understanding, then the whole big picture will be better for him in the long run.  He will be more successful academically and socially.  He will survive school, and maybe, just maybe, thrive at school. 
Education.  It’s all about educating everyone.  So I volunteer in the library (where I’ve started donating books to help teachers educate themselves, help other students learn about his issues).  I help in the art department.  I help out with music.  I pray to the copy gods in the work room.   I am the room parent.    I go to the PTO meetings.  I volunteer at the PTO events.  And I HATE our PTO, but I do it—with a smile.  I leave no opportunity unturned.  I am a team player.  And the school knows it, and have jumped on my team: Team Help H.

No comments:

Post a Comment