Sunday, February 20, 2011

At Least I Keep Up On Laundry

We’ve all been there.  The point where we are about to break.  When everything seems to be spiraling out of control.  Even before I had my challenging child, I had been pushed and prodded into that spot where life seems like a black hole.  And, deep down, we all know the moment will pass and we will all come out of it just fine. 
We all have our own ways of dealing with it—writing, grabbing a cup of coffee with friends, checking out the latest chick flick, dinner with hubby, chocolate.  Lately, I’ve found a little way of sitting back and reminding myself that “this too, shall pass.”  I put it in perspective.
·         It’s not that H still isn’t potty trained at 5 ½; he is making sure I don’t fall behind on laundry.
·         It’s not that H doesn’t understand language; he’s making sure we learn to choose our words carefully.
·         It’s not that H can’t stand still; he’s making sure I’m getting plenty of exercise.
·         It’s not that H can’t handle shopping trips; he’s forcing us to stick to our budget.
·         It’s not that H isn’t responding as well to therapy as we had hope; he’s teaching the therapists to work hard, reach further, and learn more.
A friend told me that I shouldn’t worry about it, that God doesn’t give us anything we can’t handle.  My thoughts were that God doesn’t know me very well then.  But that’s not true.  We are getting through this.  We might not know exactly what to do, or how to do it, but we are learning.  Every day is a learning experience.  For all of us.  H is a square peg learning how to fit in a round world, and the rest of us are learning how to help him. 
So, during my times of thinking that running away and joining the circus is a viable option, I put a positive spin on things.  Sometimes it really helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Other times it just gives me a giggle.  Every time though, it reminds me that as hard as this is on me, it’s just as hard on him.  I do believe there is a reason for why he is the way he is and why he is in our lives.  He truly is a wonderful little boy with lots of great qualities—like his sense of humor, his drive, his ability to work hard, his intelligence, that gorgeous smile…

1 comment:

  1. How true! I enjoyed your bright light thinking.
    Every step of every day, my little guy reminds me it's not our lives that aren't normal, it's every ones elses because they can't submit to such truths we have to daily.

    by BeVerbal
    A Spectrum "grandPARENT"
    http://autismspectrumparenting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete